Sunday, January 21, 2018

Welcome!

Hello! My name is Abigail Koruna, and I'm currently a student at Columbus State Community College in central Ohio. This is Cephalablog, a blog for the educational technology course that I'm taking in Spring Semester 2018. I've been interested in early childhood education since the seventh grade, when I started volunteering for the MOPs program at a local church. I continued volunteering both there and at my parents' church throughout middle and high school. I also built up a small network of babysitting clients, some of whom I still work with.

On a personal level, I'm interested in reading, writing, and literature, as well as video game design and analysis. Some of my favorite writers are Frances Hardinge, Maggie Stiefvater, Sarah Rees Brennan, Chuck Wendig, Terry Pratchett, and Seanan McGuire; as far as classics go, I love Shakespeare, Hawthorne, and Dickinson. I have a special fondness for poetry, since I am fascinated by language and its many uses, and speculative fiction, which I believe allows for an in-depth exploration of tropes and themes that literary fiction can sometimes lack. My favorite books include To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee; Vicious, by VE Schwab; Down Among the Sticks and Bones, by Seanan McGuire; and Reaper Man, by Terry Pratchett. My favorite video games include Portal, Pillars of Eternity, Super Mario 3D World, and the Legend of Zelda series. I love to analyze and break down the motifs and themes of my favorite media, and incorporate the most interesting parts into my own writing and game design.


I apply this philosophy to my teaching, as well. As a CSCC student, I have access to a wide variety of academic databases, which I enjoy accessing both for school assignments and for personal research. I take the information I gather there, as well as information from other sources (such as my textbooks or my hands-on experience with kids) and synthesize it. I am passionate about individualizing education, both at the early childhood level where I intend to teach and at higher levels. I am a proponent of developmentally appropriate practice and play-based education. I believe the most important thing in any classroom is literacy - not just within literature (although that is my passion), but for technology, mathematics, history, the world, and more. I hope to found my own school one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment