I didn't include a lot of technology in my classroom, because I'm an early childhood educator. Although I think technology can be utilized in pre-kindergarten classrooms in a variety of important ways, and that it's important our children be computer literate, I don't feel comfortable keeping computer workstations in the classroom. Instead, I have a smart board, which would ideally be installed low to the ground so the children can utilize its features. This could be used to play music and video for the students. I also have a listening station, which would include audiobooks and music the children can access themselves.
The rest of my classroom layout is a pretty straightforward center-based preschool learning environment. I have a center each for dramatic, sensory, and manipulative play, as well as cognitive, linguistic, and creative skills. What I kept in each of these sections would vary by unit, but I would try to incoporate technology there in creative ways. A suggestion I read in several places online was to use old technology with its batteries removed in the dramatic play area - cell phones, cameras, and even computers could all be utilized in this manner. Old, useless computer chips could go in the sensory table for a unit on computers, and simple tablets with art apps could be stored on high shelves in the creative center.
No comments:
Post a Comment